Key Stage 3
Students can select Construction in Year 9 as a Taster Course, covering the following topics:
- Workshop/ Site Health and Safety
- PPE - what to wear and why?
- Safe use of handheld tools and equipment (pipe bender, pipe cutter, propane torch, screw drivers, palm sander)
- Experience of different materials (copper pipe, solder, pine)
- Experience of different techniques such as soldering, sanding and deconstruction of furniture
- Understanding of complex plumbing fittings and how they link together
- How to plan a project in a logical sequence
- Careers in Construction-what do the different careers do? What are their roles and responsibilities?
- Working as a team on larger scale practical tasks.
- Responding to a job card and working to high level of quality
- Confidence in key skills such as measuring and calculating material amount and costs
Key Stage 4
This is a practical, skills-based course delivering training in construction and building services to young people. The course covers, carpentry, brickwork, painting and tiling. Students will learn practical skills which will enrich their opportunities for employment in the building, construction and increase their problem-solving skills. Pupils will learn to work in a team, respond to instructions and work to deadlines. Topics such as the Built Environment, Structures and Health and Safety are covered in
Year 9 and 10 to give a wider understanding of Construction industry. Student’s practical skills are assessed in Year 10 and 11 alongside written coursework assignments.
How to support your child?
The Construction department provide the students with clear deadlines as it is a coursework based subject. If you feel your child is struggling to meet a deadline on time please contact your child’s classroom teacher or Head of Faculty, so as a department we can put necessary interventions in place to support your child. All deadlines should be met before or on the given date. Details of coursework deadlines are on Google Classroom. Revision materials for exams are distributed by the teacher. It may be required that you provide your child with materials to succeed in KS4. There is funding for pupil premium students available on request.
Miss J Prior
Head of Art & Technology Faculty
Miss M Williams